I have been working in the library field close to 25 years. I graduated from Queensland Uni of Technology (QUT), Brisbane, Australia, in Information Technology (Bachelor); majoring in Information Management. (That was when I fell in love with librarianship).
After graduating from QUT, I worked as a Reference Librarian in Singapore Polytechnic (SP). During that time, I was sponsored by them to continue with my education – MSc, Masters program at Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore (Information Studies). I won’t forget those 2 years of slogging and working full-time; plus my twin girls were born around the same time I started my Master’s program, So I became a dad, hubby, student and an employee all rolled into one.
During my stint in SP, I led a Quality Circle team that won a National Award for a library project on Library Booking system. I also took up the role as an Advisor to the Singapore Polytechnic Malay Language Society.
After spending more than ten years at SP, I moved to Li Ka Shing Library, Singapore Management University to work as a Reference Librarian cum Webmaster. One of my significant accomplishments was leading the library website usability project.
In 2009, I got the call from an International Graduate Research University, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST). KAUST, located in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, offered me a job which I accepted. I’ve worked at KAUST for almost 10 years. Some of my achievements at KAUST include: leading several projects in the area of Electronic Resources Management, Web Discovery Layer Services and Usability Study.
Served on the following committees and groups:
- ER&L Committee (Communications), USA, 2016 – 2018
- IGELU (International Group of Ex Libris Users): Summon product working group, International, 2016 – 2018
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), The Digital Library: Library Advisory Board, 2013 and 2017
- International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA), Corresponding member, Aug 2017 – 2019
Currently serving on the following committees and groups:
- International Association of University Libraries (IATUL)
- Library Association of Singapore,
– Council Member, 2019 – 2021
– Member, 2018 – 2019
In 2018, I returned home to assume the position of Assistant Director at Nanyang Technological University (NTU) Library’s Advisory and Consultation Team. Among my responsibilities include planning and providing leadership in the provision of advisory and consultation services and information support to faculty, researchers and students in the College of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences (CoHASS) among others. In addition to that, I also serve as a liaison librarian and provides outreach to the CoHASS cluster.
I made the switch to work at Yale-NUS College recently. I took up the post of College Librarian in May 2020. My job scope includes:
- heading the College Library,
- overseeing the library staff, operations, budget, and collection development as well as all public, access, and technical services
- implementing the Library’s strategic initiatives.
My spare time revolves around spending quality time with my family, reading, travelling and blogging (my new found hobby). Not forgetting: Sparring with my son with the PS4 games.
More info in my LinkedIn account.
Disclaimer: All posts in this blog are reflections of my thoughts, NOT of anyone or any organization.