Where I am presently …
It has been 7 years since I started working here. I enjoyed every moment of my time living and working in this wonderful place. Provided me with opportunities to grow in my career. Met people from different walks of life. Shared experiences, joy, tears and laughter with them (esp my working colleagues). There was never a dull time. Yes, there were challenges but I’ve always interpreted them differently. Challenges can be turned into opportunities. Opportunities present new learning points in life. Learning points help you to know more about yourself, your environment. You adopt and adapt to it. “Learn, Unlearn and Relearn” – Alvin Toffler.
On another note, I have always love this magnificent view from the university library (that’s where I’m working presently). Watching it from afar tend to have a relaxation / soothing effect on me. Especially when the going gets a little tough. The white structure in the distance is called the Beacon.
One of the main highlights of the KAUST library was being awarded with AIA/ALA Library Building Awards in 2011. Some other interesting collection facts about KAUST University Library (we have another one called Harbor Library):
- More than 300,000 electronic book titles
- More than 50,000 scientific electronic journal titles
- “Databases: over 30 scientific databases contains articles, citations, standards, protocols, reports, theses, videos and images”
- Around 3,500 print titles
- “Special collections: Red Sea coral collection; desert microbe image collection”
Source: Facts and Figures
We are a born-digital library as what my Bosses would often declare. Proud of it.
On top of that, our library:
- has 3 levels; Nearly 14,000 square meters of space
- 150 computer workstations throughout the building including two German and two Spanish keyboards.
- Collaborative study spaces as well as Group Study Rooms
- Copy center
(just mentioning some of the features, more information can be found here: Facts and Figures) . We also have our other value-added services. Here are some pictures of the library:
That’s it for now. I’ll share my other experiences in my next few blogs. Stay tune 🙂