A library dean will discuss strategies for librarians to guide users to reliable scholarly content, followed by a ScienceDirect product manager who will highligh product innovations and time-saving tips.
The February 2020 issue of C&RL News is now freely available online. Leading off the issue, Abigail Goben and Robert J. Sandusky discuss the risks and opportunities of “Open data repositories” in this month’s Scholarly Communication column. In the latest edition of our Perspectives on the Fra
Source: C&RL News – February 2020
“Library technicians play a vital role even in libraries with qualified librarians and teacher-librarians, as well. They perform much of the back-end technical and day-to-day operations of the library, allowing librarians and TLs to focus their efforts on the specific functions of their own roles, such as developing and revising library policy and strategic planning; developing and delivering lessons to students about digital literacy, research, and critical thinking; working with teachers to assist struggling readers; finding and assessing the latest research to assist teachers or school policy makers with their duties; or being involved with curriculum planning to ensure a focus on literacy and information skills.” Excerpt.
The Princh Library blog provides library stories and insights from around the globe. The blog is brought to you by Princh, the only printing solution designed specifically for – and with – libraries! Our user-friendly printing solution makes it easy for library users to print and pay from their own device. Try out the solution
Source: The Role of Library Technicians
Publishers have opened their access to research articles on the recent outbreak of the Coronavirus (Wuhan Virus). Here are some of them:
- Springer Nature
- Taylor and Francis
- PubMed: Search Results
- MDPI: Search Results
- The Lancet: Search Results
There are also useful sites on the 2019 Coronavirus:
- China coronavirus: how many papers have been published (Nature)
- Coronavirus Infections Exceed SARS Outbreak (Statista)
- The new coronavirus: What we do — and don’t — know (Harvard Medical School)
- What Is the Coronavirus? Symptoms, Treatment and Risks (NYT)
- China coronavirus: All you need to know in 500 words (AlJazeera)
- Coronavirus: What it does to the body (BBC)
Conflict is inevitable in any workplace, and libraries are no exception. Some of the factors that can cause conflict may be similar within a generational cohort but can vary substantially across age groups. For managers who lead intergenerational teams, an understanding of how different age groups function can help you deal effectively with conflict should it arise.
- Get to know the library’s resources (books, journals, articles, research papers, final year project reports, etc.) and how you can search for them via OneSearch (NTU Library’s discovery layer powered by Primo and Alma). Don’t just limit yourself to using Google Scholar / Google Search. Try out the features of the library’s web discovery layer, and you’ll be surprised by the results that you get. Some of the features include: filtering by format type, limiting to a specific period, emailing, exporting your results to a citation management software such as Endnote and many more.
- Join the library tour, and explore the library facilities and services. Be inquisitive and ask questions, lots of them. There are spaces for you to study or even get a cat-nap also exercise on the Eco-Bike while charging your mobile phone. Get to know the library’s resources (books, journals, articles, research papers, final year project reports, etc.) and how you can search for them via OneSearch (NTU Library’s discovery layer powered by Primo and Alma). Don’t just limit yourself to using Google Scholar / Google Search. Try out the features of the library’s web discovery layer, and you’ll be surprised by the results that you get. Some of the features include: filtering by format type, limiting to a specific period, emailing, exporting your results to a citation management software such as Endnote and many more.
- If you missed the library orientation, don’t fret. Simple approach the friendly librarians at the Desk and request for one. You can also learn more by scheduling a 1-on-1 session with the librarian. You will get to know the available resources relevant to your area of study, assignments, and projects.
- Last but not least, all the best in your education journey.
Effectively managing the budget of the library is an important and continuous task. Any strategies to help promote library services, raise awareness for libraries and attract library visitors at a low cost are enticing for libraries to review and potentially implement. Egor Gerashchenko, chief of Marketing & Development Department, Central Library System of Moscow Region