Just completed my first draft of my paper entitled: An Exploratory study on the use of LibAnswers to Resolve, Track and Monitor Electronic Resources Issues: The KAUST Library experience. Researched on the most common questions related to E-Resources as well as making recommendations for service improvement in this area.
What I found:
32% of the submitted questions are related to electronic resources issue
Access issues (17%)
Link issues (4%)
New e-resource title recommendations (3%)
Peak Months: August – Oct as well as Jan – March
Most questions were asked on Sundays and Wednesdays
Daily Peak timings: 10am – 12pm and 2pm – 4pm.
Drill Down on Access Issues:
Denied access to e-resource
Setting up / Registration issues
Downloading e-journal articles / ebook chapters
Turnaround time to resolve the e-resource questions: Approx 12 hours
For further discussion(s)/suggestions:
To have a consistent / controlled vocabulary in tagging the questions
User Empowerment to resolve straightforward issues themselves. We are creating a libguide to address this.
Social media integration
Implementing Libanswers’ Ref Analytics feature
Regular sharing sessions with library staff
Knowledge audit of library staff understanding of electronic resources
Working in the field of Electronic Resources in a Graduate Research Library can be very challenging at times. One of my responsibilities is troubleshooting access issues. Electronic resources cover the whole works: electronic books, electronic journals, full-text, A&I and image databases and many more. Most often these access issues touch on:
Off or On Campus Access
Site Down (Broken Links)
Vendor Admin modules
Partial Open Access
and the list goes one ….
The last few weeks have been pretty busy. I was inundated with a number of inquiries/issues via emails, phone calls and our online reference system, Libanswers. At one point, one of our electronic resources were disrupted due to excessive downloads.
Ahh .. excessive downloads … there are lots of reasons for this to happen. Sometimes, users deploy smart technologies to trawl (search and download) for articles. In some instances, I discovered that the cause of this was the Find Full-text Feature in Endnote. This actions would trigger an alert that warns the electronic publishers of this violation. When this happens, the publishers either forewarn us to follow up and investigate the matter; or they just ‘pull the plug’. The latter are the ones that irk me. Perhaps, there could be some form of standardization to address this matter.
On our part, we try to be pro-active as possible. Informing our users not to download excessively during our training sessions. Telling them the electronic resources usage policy. Putting put signs and posters. Sending email alerts to the community and the list goes on …..